Thursday, April 21, 2011

The Foundation

If you want to get healthy and stay that way, there are some foundational nutritional protocols I recommend. If you're sick, I'd wast no time, but even if you're well, these suggestions can help you feel, um, well-er. Prevention is always easier. The good part--most of these suggestions are inexpensive to implement. Pay now, or pay later, and if you pay later it could be a cost far greater than you can fathom right now when everything seems cool. And I promise you won't start looking like the guy in the picture.

First up--and this won't shock anyone who knows me or any regular reader of this blog--take vitamin D. 5,000 IU a day for your average adult should do the trick. You can always get a blood test to see where your levels are, which I do every 6 months, but don't let the lack of knowledge of your level enable you to put off supplementing.

When in chiro school in Florida, a friend of mine, who was about my height, weight and build, got his levels tested around the same time I tested mine for the first time. He was a big golfer, and I was commonly found in the ocean with my surfboard, so we were both getting a lot of sunshine. The results? His was 19 Ng/Ml of blood, and mine was 38. 40 is the bottom end of optimum. I was taking 2,000 IU a day at the time and was getting what he was getting from the sun. The literature suggests that you can take up to 2,000 per pound of body weight if you feel the funk coming on. Yesterday I woke feeling a bit like Bootsy Collins (very funky), so during the course of the day I consumed approximately 150,000 IU. I woke up today feeling mostly normal.

Take D.

Next up--take some fish oil. You want around a gram of EPA/DHA. Some brands are more concentrated than others, so do the math and make sure you're getting enough. EPA/DHA is anti-inflammatory and neuro protective. It will help lower your triglycerides, too.

Take a deep breath before you read the next sentence: Stop eating grain products. I know, this is the hardest part. For some of you this may mean eating thin crust pizza instead of thick, and for others you may start experimenting with almond flour or other no-grain alternatives. See my previous grains post for details.

And finally--take probiotics. There are approximately 10 trillion bacteria in your colon. This means that there are far more of them in you than there is you in you, if you count up all your cells to compare. The type of bacteria in your gut has been found to influence brain function, systemic inflammation, and general health in a big way. If you get too much of the wrong ratio you can get sick. The literature is starting to suggest that virtually all autoimmune disorders begin in the gut, so it behooves us to make our gut work for us.

This is the foundation. There are other recommendations I'd make for specific conditions. Athletes could use a good anti-oxidant regimen. I take everything listed here, avoid grains like the plague, and take CoQ10 along with the other stuff. Insurance. I haven't been full blown sick enough to miss work since December 20. 2006. It's our wish here at Green Chiropractic that you get equally healthy. And if you have any back or neck pain, we'd love to help you with that as well.

6 comments:

  1. Thanks, Greg! Good tips all around. I'm taking 6000 IUs of D every day and a fish oil tablet, to boot.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm taking 4000 IUs of vitamin D as I told you a few days ago, but I'm thinking I'm going to up it a bit. I really need to get my levels tested.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i need a good probiotic rec. from you.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks alot Greg for this wonderful post..!! For pain relief people always prefer tablets..instead of that if we go for exercise or any other alternative treatments.. Then it will help us to maintain our health well..

    ReplyDelete
  5. I never thought that I was invincible to STD s or pregnancy or anything else parents warn their kids about. I just didn’t think about it. I was in a monogamous relationship and thought that I asked the right questions.  We even talked about marriage Scary.  During that time I was in college and donated blood on a regular basis in efforts to help others when I could. As you may know, each donation is tested.  Well, on July 6th I had a meeting with a Red Cross representative and was told that I had HIV. “What went through your mind when you heard that "Rose" Good question reader! To be honest, I thought my life was over, that I would ever find love, get married, have children or anything normal. Lucky for me I have an amazing support system.  My family supported me then as well. who helped me in search of cure through the media.there we saw a good testimony of sister 'Kate' about the good work of Dr Akhigbe natural herbal medicine cure.then I copied his email address and contacted him. A good herbalist doctor with a good heart, he is kind, loving and caring. He replied back to my message and told me what to do. It after a week the doctor sent me my herbal medicine and instructed me how to take it.Yes it worked very well, after drinking it I went to the hospital for another test and everything turned negative. What a wonderful testimony I can never forget in my life. Dr Akhigbe is a man who gave me a life to live happily forever so all I want you all to believe and know that cure of HIV is real and herbs is a powerful medicine and it works and heals.  Dr Akhigbe also used his herbal medicine to cure diseases like:   HERPES, DIABETES, SCABIES, HEPATITIS A/B, STROKE, CANCER, ALS, TUBERCULOSIS, ASTHMA, PENIS ENLARGEMENT, MALARIA, LUPUS, HIV/AIDS, EPILEPSY, BACTERIAL, DIARRHEA, HEART DISEASES, HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, PARKINSON'S, ALZHEIMER, HUMAN PAPILLOMAVIRUS, BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS, SCHIZOPHRENIA, JOINT PAIN, STOMACH PAIN, CHROME DISEASES, CHLAMYDIA, THYROID, MAR BURG DISEASES, MENINGITIS, ARTHRITIS, BODY WEAK, SMALLPOX, DENGUE, FEVER, CURBS, CHANCRE, ETC.   You are there and you find yourself in any of these situations, kindly contact Dr Akhigbe now to help you get rid of it. Here is his email address:
       drrealakhigbe@gmail.com      or you can write to him on whats app with his phone number:   +2349010754824.
      My appreciation is to share his testimony for the world to know the good work Dr Akhigbe has done for me and he will do the same for you.
       

    ReplyDelete